~ Welcome ~

"Welcome to my blog! Feel free to leave comments and reactions. They will help me make my writing better and know what my audience enjoys. I hope all of you enjoy reading my posts. You may not like all of them, but I hope at least a few will catch your eye! ;) " ~Lauren Grippaldi

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I Am A Miracle

I am a living miracle baby. I was born only 1 pound, 6 ounces. My mom was only 24 weeks pregnant with me. Everyone in my family was so worried and scared because this was new to all of them. My parents stayed in the hospital with me for 82 days straight. I was born way too early. My due date was July 4th, and I was born March 28th. My mom and dad struggled to hold on to me and to do all that they could. They watched me struggle with needles, tubes and tape all over me as the doctors worked hard to keep me alive. None of my organs were fully developed and my skin was transparent. The doctors said to expect the worst because no one expected me to survive the trauma. I was only the length of your hand and my lungs had holes in them so I was not able to breathe on my own. My head was only the length of your index finger. No one had ever seen such a small baby back when I was born. Once my organs developed I was able to go home, but was on oxygen tanks until the age of four. Today, I am perfectly fine...100 percent. This is very rare because I shouldn't be living. Many premature babies grow up with bad eyesight, can’t walk, can’t breathe on their own, or have long-term life problems. Unfortunately, in most cases they never get the chance because they die. My mom told me that she prayed, cried, and hoped for me to get better and I did. Only 6% of the premature babies born today are born before 28 weeks. I am one of the 6%. I learned from my mom that I am a miracle baby.

1 comment: